The 2019-2020 DeGaetano Composition Institute will provide a seven-month program for emerging composers to develop a new work for chamber orchestra under the guidance of Composer Mentor Anna Clyne. This season, the guiding musical theme will be Johann Sebastian Bach’s The Musical Offering.
The Institute culminates in June 2020 with a week-long New York City residency packed with opportunities to network and learn from industry professionals while working closely with conductor Ben Gernon and Orchestra of St. Luke’s. The Institute closes with a concert of the composers’ new works performed by Orchestra of St. Luke’s at Manhattan School of Music’s Neidorff-Karpati Hall.
As part of the New York residency, participants will receive:
- Rehearsals with the celebrated musicians of Orchestra of St. Luke’s
- Professional development sessions with the staff and musicians of Orchestra of St. Luke’s
- Networking and professional advice from industry professionals
- Headshots and media assets for the composer’s promotional use
- Domestic travel and housing provided during New York City residency
- World Premiere public performance of a new work for chamber orchestra